ALL THIRD SATURDAY VOLUNTEER DAYS HAVE BEEN CANCELED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
We appreciate your understanding, and look forward to a time when we can hold this event again. Stay safe!
Since Friends of Banshee Reeks operates completely through dedicated volunteers, we always need your help. A Volunteer Day is held on the third Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. to provide an opportunity for members of the public to contribute to volunteer projects. The preserve manager decides on the projects that need to be completed that day, and participants can choose a project based on their interest and ability. No need to sign up — just show up at 9 a.m. on the third Saturday in front of the Visitor Center. Please note that volunteers must be 18 years of age or older, or accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Some projects that need volunteers throughout the year include:
- Pollinator and rain garden maintenance
- Vertical trail maintenance (clipping small overhanging branches and vines)
- Native tree, plant, and wildflower plantings
- Invasive plant species management (helping to remove identified invasives)
- Basic carpentry work (BRNP builds its own benches and picnic tables)
- Assistance with ongoing preserve research
- Monitoring programs (e.g., bluebird boxes, kestrels and owls, box turtles)
- Species inventories (i.e., hiking out to ID and count wildflowers, dragonflies, damselflies, butterflies, trees, and more)
- Creating a new outdoor classroom that is possible with financial support from Friends of Banshee Reeks and the Banshee Reeks VMN chapter